Wednesday 3 February 2010

Overturning The Democratic Process

I know, I know, it's shameless behaviour. However, someone on the Omlet forum suggested the name Purdy for the gold partridge chick, and I've fallen in love with it. Thank you to everyone who voted and suggested names, it was much appreciated. Will you be appeased if I tell you that at some point, I will almost certainly use all of the names?

So, Celia and Purdy are settling in well. They have got over the initial shock of being moved, and are now happily pottering about the brooder. I make a point of stroking them and talking to them whenever I go in, and they have stopped freezing with terror. In fact, during my last visit, they both had a curious peck at my wedding band, a sure sign of pekin attitude. Purdy is definitely the more feisty of the two, and I have caught her eyeing up the side of the brooder. I am expecting an escape attempt any day now. Celia is of a quieter disposition, and might well be a contender for new bottom hen. As a result of these observations, I will be very careful about introductions.

The big girls are going back in to lay. I found an odd shaped egg in the nest box yesterday with Maeve, but I doubt very much that she had laid it. Hopefully, they will all stop free loading and get on with what chicken's are supposed to do best.

Harmony reigns supreme amongst the flock for a change. I'd like to think that they have reached an understanding, but in reality I suspect that they are united against a common enemy. They are not yet sure as to what form that this new enemy may take, but they have their suspicions and are staking out the garage in pairs.

The Things That Meep In The Garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment