Tuesday 2 February 2010

The Babies

Finally, some pictures! They are not the best shots, but I didn't want to stress them too much. They have settled well, and despite sneezing occassionally to freak me out, seem healthy. They are certainly making a dent in their growers pellets. Already, they are beginning to get used to me coming and going, and have stopped trembling as I approach.

This is the nameless little gold partridge chick.
(Get voting people!)


                                          Introducing Celia, or CeCe, the silver partridge chick.

The big girls know that something is up. When I emerge from the garage, I am usually surrounded by several suspicious hens. If I leave the door open while I attend to the babies, their cheeping can be clearly heard. Mabel froze, cocking her head to one side, and made a long, drawn out 'Boooooooooooooooooooooook' sound. It had an element of 'Oohhhhhhhhh, I don't like the sound of that!' about it. Since this incident, the flock have been keeping a vigil by the garage door. Luckily, the babies are not concerned about the big girls chunterings.

I suspect that it will be some weeks before the two groups can lay eyes on each other.

1 comment: