Saturday 25 April 2009

Punk Chicken

Mini is still being pecked on the comb by one of her flock mates. I think we've got the culprit, though, as when Mini ventured into the coop to lay there arose an almighty racket. Belinda is apparently willing to accomodate any hen but Mini in her broody mentalness.

Mini's comb is looking rather pathetic and scabby, so I decided to try and fix the problem. Wearing some marigolds, I grabbed a gentian violet spray in one hand and a small white hen in the other. Gentian violet is a purple dye, which disguises the blood, and also acts as a disinfectant. Now, I didn't want to just spray Mini's head, so I sprayed some of the pungent mixture onto the fingers of one glove, and massaged it into her comb. Feeling quite pleased with my efforts, I put her down. Mini shook herself, muttered a chicken oath, and then turned her head in the other direction. At this point, I realised that the application hadn't gone as well as I'd thought. A drip of the purple dye had rolled from her comb into her left eye. Oh, bum.

Mini didn't shriek, or give any other indication that having gentian violet on your eyeball hurt, but I can't help worrying. I observed her for twenty minutes, waiting for swelling or bubbling. Nothing. She does, however, look like she's wearing purple eyeliner. Basically, I now have a hen with a purple mohican and one made up eye. Let's just hope she doesn't want anything pierced.

No comments:

Post a Comment