I am writing this in tears. Approximately half an hour ago, the vet called to tell me that my beloved Mini had died on the operating table.
After thinking about it long and hard, I decided to take her back to the vet to see if the cyst could be removed. The children were anxious, and I foolishly told them she'd be fine. The vet agreed to remove the swelling under anaesthetic, and I left her there at just gone 9am. The phone call came just an hour later.
The vet told me that the swelling was a huge, pus filled abcess. It would not have got better on its own, and would eventually have infected her nervous sysytem and killed her. I am now wracked with regeret, wondering if opting for surgery sooner would have made any difference. I'm also cursing myself for not getting her, somehow, to a specialist avian vet for the surgery.
All regrets and 'what if?'s are pointless now, though, as she is gone.
I will miss her. Meh-meh :( :( :(